Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Serger catastrophe.....ahhh
                                                          



    While sewing the little white dress for my daughter last week my overlock machine decided to have a melt down so to speak. 
    I was sewing along without any problems and then forgot all about the beads on the ribbon of the dress. Needless to say, my needle broke and then the fit ensued from there. 
    I changed the needle with a new one and rethreaded the machine and thought cool now I can get back to it and finish sewing the dress. 
    Well to my disappointment it was not that easy... the tension was off, the cutter position was off, the thread kept breaking, I kept rethreading, the stitches were skipping... and on and on. What a mess!!! 
    I spent three days working on getting everything back on track. I put two different NEW needles in. I rethreaded and fixed the tension, but it is still skipping stitches. So now I am thinking that maybe the timing is off. 
    I watched every YouTube video I could on how to fix all these problems. Its been a real big headache.
I have learned a lot about my machine in the process which is good and will be super helpful in the future.
This machine has been super awesome for the past 13 years, I've never had a problem with it. Normally I rethread it and fix the tension and it hums along with perfect stiches. But this is the first time in all those years that I've broken a needle.
I've gotten it to work with just 3 threads so I may just finish the dress with the 3 instead of the 4 threads. The machine can do either. Or I may just leave all the seems on the dress unfinished but the fabric frays like crazy so I'm not in love with that idea.
Well I post pictures of the finished dress when its complete.
Hope no one else has overlock machine problems, but if you do there are great videos on YouTube that are very helpful.

Happy Sewing!!
Christine 😃

6 comments:

  1. Bummer! It does sound like a timing issue. They can be temperamental machines. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I absolutely hate it when a machine gets finicky right in the middle (or tail end) of making a beautiful project. I don't have much serger experience to help advise, but I do hope you can get it working soon and finish that beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did finish the dress. I went ahead and just used 3 threads on the serger and it worked great.

      Delete
  3. You can finish those edges with a zigzag on a sewing machine, if you need to do it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome and definitely enjoyed.