Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Faux piped binding and baby hourglass quilt-- DONE!!

Made two of this- just in different colors.

made one of these- this was from a drawing my niece made

made two of this in different sizes

















As you can see I've been working on non- quilty things... my nieces needed help with their costumes... so I tried this little adventure and let's just say that I like the creation process (no patterns) but I do not like sewing for people to wear... I unpicked and changed things so many times because I wanted them perfect that I was going crazy!!!! I made 5 shirts and one pair of pants and fixed the sleeves on another costume...... this took all of my quilting time and some but I finally got around to finishing this little quilt

..... I quilted it on my little sewing machine--- I quilted butterflies and put a faux piped binding on it.... its' not perfect but I think it turned out super cute!!
hourglass baby quilt
 I'm really proud of myself for doing it myself--- trying something new... but I'm a little on the I'm tired of sewing... what is wrong with me.... I have lots of WIP's that need to be done!!!


faux binding
folded up- you can see I used a couple of different colors
the back with minkee- you can kind of see the butterflies
you can see the butterflies and the faux piped binding
 Can you see the faux piping on the binding? I was at Walmart looking at quilting magazines and someone reached around me to grab a quilt magazine--- (what are the odds?) she asked if I quilted and then she invited me to the quilting gild-- what a quilting gild? I was super excited that would be a TON of fun. Anyway she told me that they had just had a meeting and someone had done a demo on this faux piping binding and I thought I could do that. I had originally started making prairie points- but I cut them wrong and was having a hard time fixing and so this was a wonderful solution (the prairie points are in the naughty corner). I tried it and I like it-- what do you think? All you have to do is cut out one piece larger than the other and cut a smaller piece and sew them together the width of your favorite binding and then sew it on the back of the quilt and then sew in the ditch on the front. ... I should have taken pictures while I was making this one..... sorry I don't think that well late at night. so I took a couple of faux pictures so you can see how to do it. I'm definitely going to do this again. saved me from having to sew the edge perfect and catch the back..... which I can never do.



I used a 2" strip and a 1 1/2" strip sewed together and ironed them in half
this will be the top
 
this will be the inside
 
sew it on the back like this


then you get this when you fold it over to the front and just sew it in the ditch of the binding (between the green and orange)

 
 
Well, that's what I've been doing... now I will be taking a break from sewing and quilting..... for awhile... I'm on my way out of town on a business trip and I went to the library and I have a couple of books to read (reading adults books does not happen often at this house).... Have a great week!

9 comments:

  1. I will have to try that faux piping technique. I think I understand how it is done. If it works can I take the idea and make a video for youtube (and my blog?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute costumes and beautiful quilts. I too love faux binding. There are quite a few videos on this technique and tutorials, but more are always appreciated. Kari Carr/New Leaf Stitches also has several versions of it (e.g. straight vs scalloped), along with some fun easy borders.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute baby quilt!! Have a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...you were nice to work on all of those outfits. Love the quilt and info on the binding. Have a safe fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got back from out of town and I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. Have fun on your trip - I'm sure it will be better than mine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for making and helping with the costumes. I've lost interest in making clothes for myself or others and only do it when I'm forced! The quilt is very cute and thanks for sharing how it's done. Enjoy reading and have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You still need to bottle your energy and give me a case of it. Wow!!! I know you very well and you never cease to amaze me with your skills and talents in all areas. May you still be going like you are now when you reach 100. If your blog people knew all about you, their jaws would drop open in awe too at all you can accomplishment. You are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome and definitely enjoyed.