SEW MAMA SEW is having a contest:Tell us about your thread! Answer our Thread Stash Questions on your blog or in this forum thread. When you’re done, leave a link in the comments below so we can all visit and find your responses. We’ll choose two winners from the responses to each win one Amy Butler Thread Collection and one Kaffe Thread Collection. We really want to see some pretty pictures too, so be sure to include those gorgeous shots of your thread in your answers (we know you take pictures of your thread!)
* How did you select colors for your personal thread collection?
I like to buy thread collections, my favorite place is Connecting Threads.
* Do you always match the color perfectly to your project?
Well I try to match the thread but if I cant I will use white or black.
* Do you ever use contrasting thread?
Sometimes when I am quilting the project I will use contrasting or varigated which is my favorite.
* Do you use the same color in the bobbin as the upper thread?
Most of the time, except if I run out of bobbin and dont want to have to wind another.
* What if a fabric has big areas of very different colors?
Varigated works great.
* Do you have any tips or suggestions about choosing thread?
None, I just use what I like. Cotton seems to work the best in my machine.
* Can you show us a picture(s) of your thread collection?
The pictures are above.
* Do you ever buy thread because you fall in love with the color (without a particular project in mind)?
Yes I do but it isnt quite as bad as my fabric addiction.
* Do you “invest” in thread?
Well just to the extent that I want to have what I need when I need it. I dont live in town so I dont like having to make a trip just for thread.
* What types of thread do you have? (elastic, quilting, all-purpose, wool, etc.)
I have one drawer of serger thread by the cone. I have another drawer that has my cotton for quilting and the cheap stuff I use for regular sewing. I have a cabinet that houses my varigated and a jar that has my rayon thread. I have some wool that I havent tried yet. I think I even have some invisible and metallic that I dont use very often because of the frustration that it causes.